Friday, November 2, 2007

Christmas: Even Though It's Still November




All Saint's and All Soul's have come and gone while Bonifacio Day, the next holiday, has yet to make an appearance. And yet the air's already filled with the festive atmosphere of Christmas. Malls belt out ballads through their sound systems and our neighbors have already decorated their gate with twinkling lights and snowmen. Newscasters announce "X days left to go before Christmas" and bells and balls are in very high demand. I seemed to hear the voice of carolers at our own gate a couple of days back although I never went out there to check (so i wouldn't have to pay them the obligatory sinsilyo).

Okay, that last statement may prove that I still have Grinch in my blood but don't get me wrong here, I really do love the season. After all:

Filipinos celebrate the world’s longest religious holiday. The Christmas season begins on September 1st, as chillier winds and Christmas carols start filling the air, and ends on the first week of January, during the Feast of the Three Kings.

-states the trivia section of the WOW Philippines Website.

In honor of that idea, I'll be mentioning Christmas more than a couple of times in this blog. Yes, even if it's still November.

1 comment:

Mark N. Plaza said...

kuya, i love that you are writing again... i love to read your writing style, you should wite more often.